As part of a collaboration with Rockland County Department of Social Services the Center for Safety & Change is promoting our efforts to identify victims of trafficking in our community through an advertising campaign aimed at assisting teens and young adults who are often victims of this crime. This campaign was created with the support of a Safe Harbour grant from the New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).
The Safe Harbour Law (2008):
- The law was created to protect sexually exploited children from being charged with a juvenile delinquent (JD) offense, in appropriate cases. The law defines children who are involved in these crimes as victims, not perpetrators. The Safe Harbour Law provides services to children who have been sexually exploited.
Assistance for Victims of Human Trafficking in New York
- Direct services for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes
- Survivor advocacy and empowerment
- Prevention programs
- Outreach and education initiatives
- Inter-agency collaboration and technical assistance
- Leadership in coordinated community action
Know the Signs: Human trafficking is the practice of exploiting people as commodities so they can be bought and sold for the purpose of sexual or labor servitude. Signs of a trafficking victim include someone who is:
- “Branded” with tattoos as an expression of ownership
- Frequently running away; is truant or homeless
- Exhibiting sexualized behavior
- Suffering from multiple sexually transmitted infections and/or pregnancies or high number of sexual partners
- Suffering from untreated injuries and/or is injured frequently
- Supervised by a watchful male or group of males
- Involved with social services, foster care, PINS, courts, etc.
- Not in possession of identification or carrying a fake form of identification
- A victim of human trafficking may look like many of the people you see every day. If you are a victim of human trafficking or think you know someone who is, call (845) 634-3344.
- Our hotline is open 24/7.